If performance is your expertise, then express your force of character during the competition phase of the weekend. Three selected faculty instructors will judge all competition entries and are eager to be entertained and awed with the versatility and skill of the developing dancers across the nation! Performance awards aren’t all Bellamoxi is invested in; we are invested in your education and future. Because of this, high scores for our competition portion will receive a chance in winning scholarships to future BellaMoxi events and cash prizes.
In addition to high score awards, BellaMoxi also recognizes versatility and diversity in our participants. Therefore, we offer several additional awards that recognize the schools and participants that provide BellaMoxi’s mission in their competition entries.
With all we are offering, we know we will find out who is this years “BellaMoxi Best”.
Early bird fees end 45 days prior to event.
|Early Bird||After Deadline||Time Limit|
|Ext. Duo/Trio||$55.00||$70.00||4 min|
|Small Group (4-9)||$40.00||$65.00||4 min|
|Ext. Small Group (4-9)||$45.00||$70.00||5 min|
|Line (10-15)||$40.00||$65.00||4 min|
|Ext. Line (10-15)||$45.00||$70.00||5 min|
|Large Group (16-24)||$40.00||$65.00||5 min|
|Ext. Large Group (16-24)||$45.00||$70.00||6 min|
|Production (25+)||$40.00||$65.00||6 min|
|Ext. Production (25+)||$45.00||$70.00||8 min|
- All competing dancers and their teachers must be registered for the entire convention at the city where competing.
- Entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Studios may apply their own administrative fees.
- Time and classification limits will be strictly enforced
- All returned checks will be subject to a $35 fee.
- No foreign checks accepted. Bank money orders must be payable in US Funds only.
- Entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All competition fees are per person, per entry.
- All mailed competition entries must be postmarked 45 days prior to the convention for early bird rate.
- The deadline for competition changes is two (2) weeks prior to the event. No changes will be accepted after this date.
- Once capacity has been reached, BellaMoxi will no longer accept Competition registrations.
- Registered teachers/studio owners cannot perform in the competition. Also, teachers/studio owners from a studio may not perform in their studio’s routines.
- There will be a live feed in the lobby available for viewing.
- There will be reserved seating for teachers. However, no prompting of choreography of any kind is allowed from teachers.
- No cell phones or distractions. Any violations can result in a routine and/or studio being disqualified.
- No saving seats.
- No Teachers are permitted to compete.
- Talking, lip syncing, and singing are acceptable. Microphones are prohibited.
- Dancers may compete in more than one number. Any dancer may compete against themselves in any age division, category and subject.
- Teachers will be responsible for producing birth certificates to verify age of students if requested.
- All information concerning competition will be available 7 days before the scheduled weekend.
- All entrances and exits must be done from stage left or right. No entrances or exits from front or back of stage.
- Three or more gymnastic or acrobatic passes or skills must be listed into the Open Category.
- Competing dancers should be ready to perform 45 minutes prior to their scheduled time. All Dancers returning for awards should also be present 45 minutes before scheduled time.
- Dancers and teachers are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship and general support of ALL participants.
- Choreography/costumes that are not considered age appropriate by the judges will have a 10 point deducted from the total score.
- Any studio, dancer or parent that abuses the designated dressing area will be disqualified. All participants are responsible for cleaning their area and properly disposing of all garbage.
- No BellaMoxi faculty will be permitted to judge their own choreography.
- Absolutely no photos or videos are allowed during the competition or festival performances.
- All music for the competition must be uploaded at the time of registration.
- Competing dancers must be registered as a student or assistant to be eligible to compete.
- Dancers and routines may compete in more than one city.
- All numbers must appear according to their scheduled sequence unless a BellaMoxi Stage Manager grants permission otherwise.
- Competing dancers should be ready 30-45 minutes prior to their scheduled competition time. The Competition may run up to 45 minutes early and each dancer will be expected to perform at the earlier time.
- Teachers/Studio Owners may not coach dancers during the competition.
- If competitions gear fails, the studio may choose to continue or to re-do the number. If performers’ gear fails (excluding music) the performance must continue or be withdrawn.
- Judges may stop a number in progress and request that it be repeated.
- All BellaMoxi attendees authorize the use of their images in photos and video for any and all BellaMoxi Dance Convention purposes.
- All dancers registered for the competition must have completed and signed a BellaMoxi waiver in order to participate.
- Competition may begin as early as 8a Friday.
- Those not able to perform before 3:30p on Friday will try to be rescheduled.
- In some cities, group competition may be held on Friday after 3:30pm. If this happens, BellaMoxi will do its best to notify the studio at least two (2) weeks prior.
BellaMoxi prides itself in maintaining a professional and family environment. All music, costumes, and choreography must be age appropriate. Necessary deductions will be taken. Disqualification may result, at the discretion of the judges.
- MINI DIVISION: Average ages 7-9
- JUNIOR DIVISION: Average ages 10-12
- TEEN DIVISION: Average age 13-15
- SENIOR DIVISION: Average age 16-18
- PROS DIVISION: Average age 19+
All ages are as of January 1 of the current year.
- To reach the average age of an entry, add all the ages together and divide by the number of dancers in the entry. When averaging ages always DROP THE DECIMAL POINT.
- The average age of each entry must not drop more than one age division below the age of the oldest dancer in the entry, regardless of the actual average age. Example: an entry contains dancers ranging in age from 9-17, the entry may not compete younger than the 13-15 age category (one division younger than the oldest dancer-17).
- Names and ages of all dancers must appear on the entry form or it will not be accepted.
- All competing dancers must be prepared to present proof of age should a question arise.
- All music must be uploaded to your BellaMoxi account prior to the start of the event.
- A back-up CD with titles is to be turned prior to competition
- Jazz: Primarily jazz technique, utilizing up-tempo music.
- Classical Ballet: Primarily ballet or pointe technique, including classical steps and movements.
- Classical Contemporary Ballet: Elements of classical ballet combined with modern dance.
- Modern: A style of theatrical dance that engages free thinking and few restrictions. Techniques of modern dance include: Graham, Limon, Cunningham, Horton, etc.
- Ballroom: A partner dance or group of partners with differing technique, rhythm and costumes, exemplify core elements of ballroom dancing such as control and cohesiveness.
- Hip-Hop: Primarily hip-hop technique.
- Tap: Primarily tap technique. Routines demonstrating clogging technique and style may not compete in the tap category.
- Contemporary: A mixture of elements of other dance disciplines that focuses on fluidity of movement, floor work, and the use of gravity.
- Lyrical: A combination of jazz and ballet techniques to lyrics of music incorporating emotional and storytelling elements.
- Musical Theatre: Any routine interpreting a song from a Broadway or Movie Musical.
- Open: Consists of all other categories: ethnic, acro/gymnastics, novelty, clogging, etc.
- Performance: Entries that wish to perform only for critiques only. These routines will not be scored and will not be eligible for Placement or Overall Awards.
- Improvisation: Involves creating and executing movement spontaneously, without much premeditated movement.
- Dangerous props may not be used during the competition (swords, fire, live animals, etc.).
- General props are allowed, but must be taken on and off the stage within two (2) minutes total.
- It is the sole responsibility of each studio to ensure that it’s props are taken on and off stage. BellaMoxi staff cannot help with props.
- Please do not build props backstage as this can be hazardous to the performers.
- For safety, dancers cannot stand above 6′ on a prop.
- Props that stand above 10′ are not guaranteed to fit on the BellaMoxi stage.
- It is the studio’s responsibility to ensure that the stage is completely clean and clear after the routine is finished.
- BellaMoxi does not allow chalk or powder due to equipment damage.
- No use of fire, fog machines, or equipment of any kind.
- BellaMoxi is not liable for any injury, malfunctions, or execution of the used prop.
- Technique – 20 points
- Choreography – 20 points
- Artistry/Creativity – 20 points
- Difficulty – 20 points
- Performance Impact – 20 points
- All routines will receive a Placement Award the same day of the competition. All numbers will be eligible to receive a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. All placement is determined by the following point system.
- 1st Place | 90-100 points
- 2nd Place | 80-89 points
- 3rd Place | 70-79 points
Solo Competition – Soloists will receive a judging score on their studio score sheets, and will be announced for a judging award during competition award ceremony.
Group Competition – All group routines will receive a judging score on their studio score sheets and will be announced for a judging award during competition award ceremony.
- All Overall Winners will be announced at the BellaMoxi Breakdown on the final day of convention.
- All Overall Awards are presented to each age division.
- Competition entries may opt out for a judging score; however, this will exempt these numbers from receiving placement and overall awards.
In addition to the adjudicated and judging awards, a competitive Top 5 Overall awards will be given to the highest scoring Solo, Duo/Trio, Group, Line, and Production, in each of the age categories.
This award will be given to the entry or entries that the judges feel deserves another chance to dance in the “BellaMoxi Breakdown” at the end of the weekend. These may or may not be numbers that received the highest score in their division.
This is awarded to the studio that the judges and adjudicators feel executed the best representation of BellaMoxi’s mission of versatility, creativity, artistry, and technical execution and submitted to the most variety of genres. Winners of this award will receive a $200 voucher for a Regional Registration.
BellaMoxi’s Best Award
The one number in the entire competition that received the highest score for its performance. This number will receive a FREE Regionals/Nationals submission as well as a $500 cash prize.